5 Ways to Save Money when Moving House
Updated: 4 days ago
Moving house is a great life event, but it can often get expensive. To help ease the financial burden and ensure the experience is stress-free, here are 5 ways to save money when moving house.
1. Plan Ahead Planning ahead is key when it comes to cutting the costs of moving. By allowing yourself plenty of time to plan the move, you can find deals on rental trucks, packing supplies and other services needed for the move. Plus, scheduling your move on a weekday or off-peak season can save you money too.
2. Downsize and declutter One of the best ways to reduce moving costs is to get rid of any clutter or items that you longer need. Before you move, go through your belongings and have a bit of a clear-out. Not only will you save money on the move but decluttering can be a great way to get organised and create a more comfortable home. Also if you sell unwanted belongings then this could also help pay for moving trucks or supplies.
3. Use supplies you already have When packing up your stuff, look to use items you already have like rubbish bags, blankets and suitcases. This is a great way to cut down on costs and you may even find these items around the house. As a bonus, using these items can help you avoid buying packing materials that you won’t use after the move. Also you can get free boxes from asking stores or asking online in community groups.
4. Ask for Help Ask family and friends for help moving your bigger pieces of furniture and other heavier items. Enlisting a few extra hands will save you from having to hire movers and help your move go quickly and smoothly.
5. Don’t forget utilities. Set up your utilities at the new property in advance, and make sure to switch off the energy at your old place immediately after you move out. This will save you money in the long run.
With these tips, you can save a great deal of money on your upcoming move. Commit to making smart money-saving decisions and don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty — with a few clever choices, you’ll be able to cut costs and enjoy your new home without breaking the bank.